Thursday, October 12, 2006

Studio Friday: F E A R

(WARNING: Spillin' my guts here...)

Hmmm...I think someone was reading my mind last weekend before this topic was posted. My husband and I were talking about me and my art and the direction I wanted to take with it. Then he asked with a serious tone in his voice,"Are you scared?" I looked at him, and sat there and thought about it. I was. I - was - scared. I think for years fear has been holding me back for some reason or another. (Besides getting married and having a busy family, bla bla, bla, see Im making excuses) It's hard for me to tell others my fears, especially about this, something I love to do. Here are some off the top of my head and Im sure there will be more for me to discover:
  • I'm scared of what lies ahead
  • peoples' expectations
  • success and what it brings
  • failure
  • failure to a client
  • acceptance
  • being perfect
  • family members' expectations
  • time: for me, my family, my art

Do I have "issues" or what or am I just a normal human being who is an artist?!?!

As I thought about my fears as an artist, I remembered a book we had to read in college. It's about what we are posting here at S.F. The book is called Art & Fear.

My friend, Artsychick and I had the same professor in college and had to read this book.(Do ya remember this Amy?)

Great READ: in S.F's Articles & Advice: Lee Silber: Moving Beyond Fear by Lain Chroust Ehmann.

This was good, something I had to put in front of me and see and overcome one by one.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sound like a normal human to me! Thanks for the book recommendation.

Casey said...

If you've never read this before, check it out:
http://www.kerismith.com/blog/archives/000360.html

Keri Smith's list of how to feel miserable as an artist. It is so true & funny and always sort of put things in perspective for me.

Love your blog. Your photography is beautiful. Keep them coming . . .

Anonymous said...

I could have written your post word for word. It always amazes me having the fear of success. Fear of failure seems so natural, but of success? And both at the same time? Here's to both of us conquering those fears!

Artful Creations by Tracie said...

I think to not have any fears would mean something is wrong with us! Everyone has to have some degree of fears. :)

Going For Greatness said...

HA! Are any of us artists really NORMAL? My fear is to BECOME Normal... then where would all our creativity go?!
Great post thanks for the book recommendation... looks good. I'm off to the library with my toddlers so I'll see if they have it!
~Have a great weekend!~
Gabi

art by naomi said...

You "ARE" normal or, abnormal like every other artist.

Anonymous said...

You are completely and totally normal! So nice to read about others fears - we are all alike in this one feature.

Cindy Tobey said...

I bet Amy does remember that book. She let me borrow her copy a while back. ;) You sound like a "normal" artist to me. I totally deal with the whole fear issue. I have artistic dreams that I allow the everyday to be my excuse for not pursuing...but it is really just fear that holds me back. Thanks for being so open. I can totally relate.

Unknown said...

Fear has definately stopped me taking opportunities offered to me...I am sometimes afraid that if I get really successful someone will discover my stuff isnt really that good!!!

Ouissi x

winnsangels said...

Thanks for recommending the book.
I agree with everyone else. I definitely have similiar fears plus others you don't even mention.

Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw the topic "Fear" I thought, "Oh! Everyone must read "Art and Fear" Then they will feel better." Glad to see you recommending it, one of the best books for artists I have ever seen. Maybe THE best.

Yes, of course all your fears are the normal fears of a creative person doing a lot of things like raising a family: me too! The best way I found to overcome any feeling of being stifled or stagnated by other duties was to use those duties as a source of inspiration, your art! Everything is interconnected, or can be. Best wishes to you!

Camilla said...

I think for me the combination of fear of failure and fear of success has had me rooted in one spot for too long. I think it's time I got brave!

Anke Martin said...

Oh how do I know those fears......sometimes they make my head dizzy. I'm scared a lot too, and in stress times it's even worse!