Thursday, March 12, 2009

Takin' the "port" out of Portnova...



Chad took this of me right before the procedure.Thumbs up!

So today I have come full circle in my cancer journey. I had my port a cath removed. For those who may not know it is where they infused chemo, took my blood and once off chemo, flushed it every 6 weeks. Before we even got to the office I was so nervous that all I could do was pee! And even when we got there I had to pee again! I just sat there in the waiting room asking God to pour his peace over me and settle my nerves. Every other procedure done to me in the past, I've been knocked out. Once the procedure started, It felt like forever for my surgeon to take it out. I was numbed really well and didn't feel a thing! I could have kept it as a souvenir but decided not to...one memory I don't mind letting go of:-) Both he and I had a chuckle over the Today Show and this man jumping out of a helicopter onto a huge marlin(in the ocean) and holding on to (it was a seriously CRAZY sight!)Later his P.A came in, and then I realized who she was. She was the one who pulled out(felt more like ripped out) my J-port tubing after my colon surgery! That hurt so bad, but she did do a good job distracting me by having me talk to the ostomy nurse at the time. WHAT A JOURNEY this has been. Now I'm port-free!

1 comment:

Annaleisa said...

Yay Kendra! I'm glad you looked me up, I'll definately be adding your blog to my list. Isn't it great to say buh-bye to that port? I HATED mine.