Tuesday, June 03, 2008

From swimming laps to Survivor Lap...


(my hand is covering my face! LOL!)



I guess the memories are still fresh in my head and close to my heart from Relay for Life. As a child growing up I found a love for swimming. I was quite the competitor...even in swim team practice, trying to finish my LAPS before everyone else. I also was involved in the the swim team's RELAY every so often,which involved those who were fast, strong and make it to the end of the race the best way they knew how. From those days of swimming LAPS and being in RELAYS , I would have never thought 15 years or so down the road I would NOT be swimming but WALKING a LAP of survivorship in RELAY FOR LIFE... The Cancer Survivor Lap. Some people get emotional during this lap, because as you are walking, people along the side are clapping for you and cheering you on( just like a swim race). I will be honest, I felt proud, strong, and happy to be alive. Everything you go through when your are told your have cancer is like a whirlwind at first, like you can't believe it's happening and then there you are getting"zapped" with radiation, carrying a chemo pack everywhere you go, and numerous surgeries that you feel like the hospital is the norm. So as a swimmer I know when you're swimming a long distance race you have to pace yourself ,but still stay strong and give it all you got to the end to WIN!

No comments: